Negotiate
Two job offers: deciding well without burning either bridge
Updated 12 August 2026
Two offers is the strongest position in a job search and the easiest one to fumble. The strength is obvious: for once, the market has priced you twice, and both buyers know they have competition. The fumble is subtler — people either hide the situation from both sides and drown in logistics, or wield one offer against the other so bluntly that they spend the goodwill they were about to need. Between those two failures sits a narrow, entirely honest playbook, and it fits on one page.
The spine of it is a single rule: never say anything to either employer that could not survive the two of them comparing notes. Sectors are small, recruiters move, hiring managers know each other — but the deeper reason is practical. Honest positions are stable under questioning; bluffs need maintenance. 'I have another offer and you are my first choice' only works as a sentence if both halves are true, and if both halves are true, it is the most powerful sentence in this stage of your career.
The harder version of this situation — one offer in hand, the other still working through its process — is really a timing negotiation wearing a decision's clothes. Most of the worked lines below are about buying days honestly: from the offer you hold, for the process you are waiting on. Days are almost always available. They are just rarely asked for out loud.
Your career — place the offer conversation in the wider career loop.
What the other side is weighing
Whether your account stays consistent. Each employer is quietly checking that what you tell them holds together over days and pressure — dates that drift and offers that change shape mid-conversation read as bluffing, and bluffs end negotiations that honesty would have survived.
How you handle the pressure they apply. A deadline from employer A is partly real logistics and partly a test of how you behave when squeezed — the candidate who buys time warmly and names a date they then keep is demonstrating the thing both employers are hiring for.
Whether your first choice is decided or auctioned. Employers accept losing to a genuine preference; they resent funding an auction. The moment they sense the decision is purely about who blinks last on money, the warmth drains from both conversations.
How you decline. The employer you turn down is scoring your last conversation as carefully as your first — and remembering it. A clean, warm, prompt no keeps a door open in a market where you may knock again within two years.
Offer A is in hand. Employer B's process has two stages left. What do you tell A — and when?
Why it's asked: The central scenario, and the one where silence is the expensive choice. Saying nothing to A means their deadline arrives while B is mid-process, forcing a blind decision. The strong move tells A a limited, honest version early: you are delighted, you are finishing one other process you committed to, and you need a named number of days.
Model answerPhone call to employer A, project manager, construction group
"Thank you — I want to respond properly rather than reflexively, so let me be straight with you about where I am.
Yours is one of two processes I've been running, and the other is at final stage this week. I'm not telling you that to start a bidding war — I'm telling you because I committed to finishing that process, and I keep commitments, which I'd want you to notice rather than mind. What I can honestly say is that your role is the one I'd pick on the work itself: running the Crawley site programme is closer to what I want my next three years to look like.
So here's my ask: can I give you my answer by Friday the 22nd? That's enough time for the other process to conclude either way, and it means my yes — if it's a yes — is a decision, not a default. If the 22nd creates a real problem for you, tell me what date does work and I'll see if I can compress things at my end."
Every sentence survives the two employers meeting at a conference. That is the test the whole call has to pass.
Telling employer B you have an offer from A — accelerating their process without bluffing.
Why it's asked: A real offer elsewhere is legitimate urgency, and process-running employers respond to it — recruiters reshuffle interview slots for genuinely contested candidates every week. The line has to do two jobs at once: create speed, and reassure B that they are not merely the price-check.
Model answerEmail to employer B’s recruiter, finance analyst, energy company
Subject: Timing update — analyst process
Dear Ms Adeyemi,
I want to flag a timing change at my end while there's still room to do something useful with it.
I've received a written offer from another employer, with an answer due by Friday the 22nd. I haven't accepted it, and the reason is your process: the modelling work this role centres on is the stronger fit for what I do best, and I'd rather see it through than take the certain thing. But I don't want to mislead anyone — if the 22nd arrives with your process still mid-air, I'll have a hard decision to make with incomplete information.
Is there any possibility of completing the remaining stages by the 20th? I can make myself available at short notice, evenings included. And to be plain: I'm not asking you to rush your judgement — just the diary.
Best regards, Tom Iqbal
The honesty audit: the offer is real, the date is real, the preference is stated and true, and nothing threatens. Note what is absent — no figure from offer A. The number enters later, if at all; at this stage it would only convert an interested employer into a wary one.
'We need your answer by Friday.' Asking A for more time — properly.
Why it's asked: Deadlines on offers are usually softer than they sound — the cost of a week is small against the cost of restarting the search — but the extension has to be requested, not assumed, and requested in a way that increases their confidence rather than draining it. The three components: gratitude, a reason that reflects well on you, and a specific date you then keep.
Model answerPhone call, operations lead, logistics firm
"First, thank you for the offer and the deadline both — I'd rather a clear date than a vague one.
I want to ask for a short extension, and I want to be honest about why rather than inventing a family holiday. I'm at the end of one other process, and I intend to finish what I started — the same way I'd close out commitments if I worked for you. I'm not shopping your offer around, and I'm not waiting to be outbid; I'm making a decision I'll stand behind for years, and I want to make it with complete information.
Could we move Friday to Wednesday the 27th? That's a real date, not an opening position — if it's a yes on the 27th, it's a yes I won't wobble on, and I'll be resigning at my current job the same day.
If the timeline genuinely can't move — if there's another candidate you'd lose by waiting — tell me plainly and I'll respect it. I'd just rather ask than assume."
The last paragraph matters most: acknowledging their real constraint is what separates a professional buying time from a candidate stalling, and it earns a straight answer either way.
Comparing the two offers — the arithmetic people skip.
Why it's asked: Because headline salary is the loudest number and rarely the decisive one. The comparison that holds up: total the package — employer pension contribution, holiday valued in days' pay, bonus mechanics, the cost of each commute in money and hours — then weigh the unpriceable side: which manager you would rather learn from, which role stretches you, which organisation you would rather explain in two years. Write both columns down; the exercise takes an evening and regularly reverses a decision the headline number had already made.
Using offer B to improve offer A — when it is fair, and the line that does it.
Why it's asked: Fair when A is genuinely your first choice and one number is the obstacle: that is information A wants, not a threat. The workable line names the gap without turning it into an auction — and accepts that A may say no.
Model answerPhone call to employer A, product designer, software company
"I want to tell you where I've landed, because I'd rather negotiate in the open than by hinting.
Yours is the role I want. The team, the product, the way you run design reviews — that's the job, and I'm not pretending otherwise to gain position. The complication is arithmetic: the other offer is £4,000 higher, and they've confirmed it in writing. I'm not asking you to beat it — I'm telling you that if you can match it, I'll accept today, and the other process ends this afternoon.
If the band truly can't reach that, I'm open to making the difference up another way — the reviewed-at-six-months route, or a package adjustment — and honestly, there's a version of this where I take your offer anyway, because I think it's the better job. But I owed you the actual numbers before I decided, and I'd have wondered for years if I'd never asked."
What makes this fair rather than mercenary: the preference is real and stated first, the figure is accurate and verifiable, and the close — 'I might take it anyway' — is true. If it is not true, do not say it; say instead that the gap is decisive, which is its own honest position.
Declining the offer you don't take — the conversation people rush.
Why it's asked: The losing employer spent weeks on you and is owed better than a two-line email — and the sector is smaller than it looks. The clean decline is prompt (the day you decide), warm, specific about one genuine strength of what they offered, honest that it was close if it was, and clear that you would welcome crossing paths again. No detailed scoreboard of why they lost: comparison detail helps nobody and lingers.
'What if I accept A, and B finally comes through with something better?'
Why it's asked: The question deserves a straight treatment rather than a scolding. Legally, an accepted offer can form a binding contract even before day one, with notice obligations if you withdraw — check what you signed. Professionally, reneging is remembered for years and travels between employers. The honest conclusion runs the other way: do the timing work in q1–q3 so the decision is made once, with both answers on the table — the playbook above exists precisely so this question never becomes live.
When the two employers know each other — small sector, shared recruiters, adjacent teams.
Why it's asked: In tight sectors, assume the situation is already known — recruiters talk, and interview panels overlap. That changes tactics less than people fear, because the honest playbook was already built for observers: it mostly raises the price of any exaggeration and adds one courtesy, which is discretion. Name no figures across the wall in either direction — 'the other offer is confirmed in writing' does the work that a number would, without handing either side the other's terms.
FAQ
- Should I tell an employer I have another offer?
- Usually yes, in the limited honest form: that another process or offer exists, what your timeline is, and — if true — that they are your preference. That information speeds processes up and is treated as normal professional conduct. What you should not share is the other employer's figures or terms; urgency travels fine without them.
- How long can I ask an employer to hold a job offer?
- A few days is routine; a week is a reasonable ask with a reason attached; much beyond that and you are asking them to carry real risk, since their second-choice candidate may not wait. Ask for a specific date rather than 'more time', explain honestly why, and keep the date you name — the kept date is what converts the ask from stalling into professionalism.
- Is it bad to use one job offer against another?
- Using a real offer as honest information — a genuine figure, a genuine deadline, a genuine preference — is ordinary negotiation, and employers do the mirror-image constantly. What backfires is the auction posture: invented or inflated offers, shared figures, or visible indifference to everything but the winning bid. The test is whether every sentence would survive the two employers comparing notes.
- Can I accept a job offer and then withdraw if something better arrives?
- Sometimes legally possible, never free. An accepted offer can form a binding contract before you start, which may oblige you to give notice to withdraw — and the professional cost is larger than the legal one, because hiring managers remember and sectors are small. The better answer is upstream: negotiate the timing so you decide once, with both offers visible.
- How do I resign when I have accepted one of the offers?
- Check your contract's notice period before you accept anything, resign in writing promptly once you have the final offer letter in hand, and keep the resignation conversation separate from the negotiation ones — your current employer may counter, which is a different decision on a different page. GOV.UK's guidance on handing in your notice covers the mechanics, including what happens during the notice period itself.
Read next
Sources
Prepare the position before the call.
Know the figure, the reason and the first trade-off you can make. Then see where Negotiate sits in the wider career loop.